Tuesday, October 30, 2012

I Heart Manicures

I love getting a mani-pedi.  I love that I can relax and sit in silence and have my feet and hands pampered.

I don't love that I am SO picky when it comes to my mani-pedi.  I recently went in for this amazing service at my favorite nail salon.  So there I am.  Feet in the tub. Soaking off the gel nail polish from my fingers.  This is where you submerge your fingertips in acetone and the gel magically soaks away.  It never works like this for me.  They always have to take one of those metal sticks and scrape the existing gel polish off.  And, of course they do it with vigor. So it hurts.  And, if you don't get another manicure with the magic gel polish they charge you $20 to take off what they put on two weeks ago.  What a racket.  But I love it.

Before I start the mani-pedi goodness I always spend too much time debating the color I want. And, since I wanted bright red on my fingers I had to look at every gel color with extreme scrutiny.  The gel colors are painted on fake plastic fingernails so you also have to be careful because it never looks exactly the same on human hands.   

When we got to the point that my toes were painted with the 'matching' red in non-gel nail color I decided I didn't like it.  Like hated it.  It looked way too orangey red. I prefer a blue-red over an orange-red any day.  I hated it to the point that I wanted it off.  Immediately. 

Unfortunately I felt bad because the gal just spent time tending to my toes.  And, you have to always be nice to your manicurist. They remember when you complain or are difficult.  And, I can be difficult.  I don't like when my nails are too long or too short.  Or, too round or too square. Sometimes I think they look funny so I ask them to file it just a bit more. They always fix it.  Even if they think you are crazy.  And, they smile when they do it.  So if I asked her to redo it she would...but then on my next manicure she'd accidentally cut my cuticle and have to use that green stuff that burns like crazy but stops the bleeding. Or, take the metal stick and scrape with anger. 

After weighing my options I went ahead with the 'matching' red on my hands. You know, because I liked it SO MUCH on my toes I was sure that I would LOVE it on my hands. 

Fast forward and it's been 6 days since the mani.  I still don't love the red I picked.  But it has grown on me.  And, apparently other people like it because I was complimented by my friend on how beautiful my hands are.  Maybe she was still drunk. Or, it was dark in the room.  Or, she really thought my hands were nice.

I was also just complimented on the manicure by a co-worker.  She said she lives vicariously through me since I can get a mani. 

I started to complain about how much I didn't like it.  And, then thought..wow, she doesn't have the time to get a manicure.  And, then I was grateful. And, Happy. And, thankful for my orangey red manicure. 

And, even though I don't love the color of my manicured nails I love that I have the time to do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment